Posted on 3rd March 2017 by JN Wine
The annual offer of Ridge Monte Bello is always eagerly awaited by its many fans. But even for those of you who are new to the world of fine wine should pay heed! Over my 35 years in the wine business I have been lucky enough to taste Ridge Monte Bello on numerous occasions and across many vintages and I can honestly say that not once have I been disappointed.
Although Ridge make many different styles of wine, Monte Bello is the estate’s top wine and is always produced from the best of the red Bordeaux varietals grown on their top sites. Without doubt it is up there with the aristocracy of Bordeaux in terms of quality (as witnessed by the Judgement of Paris) but, in my opinion, is without equal when it comes to for value for money. The Ridge 2016 Harvest report has arrived on our desks in Crossgar and once again, it looks like they have produced a magnificent Monte Bello.
Unfortunately, we never have enough to meet the demand but please get your order in quickly and we will endeavour to share it out as fairly as possible!
This year we are also offering the impressive Ridge Estate Cabernet 2014. It will arrive here in Ireland in June. We are offering it in the same way as the Monte Bello i.e. excluding VAT and duty. We will contact you in June when it arrives and you can decide whether to store or take delivery. VAT and duty will be charged at prevailing rate at time of delivery.
Jane Boyce MW
– 1885 – vineyard planted
– 1959 – purchased by a group of 4 Stanford engineers
– 1962 – Ridge Vineyards formed
– 1969 – Paul Draper appointed winemaker. His philosophy: Old World, non-interventionist allowing the wines to express the vineyard.
– 1976 – Judgement of Paris – a panel of European winemakers judged 2 Caifornian wines to be superior to some of Bordeaux’s first growths. One of them was 1971 Ridge Monte Bello.
– Present – for the last 40 years Ridge has continued to strive for perfection in its Bordeaux blends and its Chardonnays from Monte Bello as well as its wonderful Zinfandels from Lytton Springs and Geyserville in Sonoma County.
The annual Ridge Monte Bello offer has become ever more popular with each succeeding year. Last year’s 2015 offer sold out within two days and we don’t imagine the 2016 will stick around for very long either!
The wine will arrive here late Spring 2019. At that time we will write to inform you of its arrival and you can decide whether to take delivery or store in Bonded warehouse. VAT and duty will be charged at rates prevailing at time of delivery.
From a number of individual plots on the Estate. 100% whole berry fermented on native yeasts. Aged for 19 months in American oak barrels, 70% of them new oak.
Tasting note: aromas of blackcurrant, cherries, cloves, spice, toasted oak and cocoa. Ripe bramble fruit on entry, medium full body, supple tannin and sweet oak. Fine acid persists in a long finish.