Check out our list of the best fine wines to drink this Christmas chosen by our very own Master of Wine, Jane Boyce.
1. Forget Brimont 1er Cru Champagne NV Bottle Price £19.99/€29.50, case x 6 price £119.94/€177 - high quality grower’s Champagne - perfect with smoked salmon on Christmas morning.
2. Donnhoff Felsen Turmchen Riesling QmP Spatlese 2009 Bottle Price £31.95/€40.15, case x 6 £172.53/€216.83 - Don’t worry about pronouncing the name, just sit back and sip this delightful Riesling from one of Germany’s most talented winemakers.
3. Fixin La Place AC Tardy 2008 Bottle Price £23.36/€29.70, case x 12 £280.26/€356.40 - Beautifully well balanced with lovely purity of fruit. Drinking very well now. Excellent with Christmas ham or the Boxing Day buffet.
4. Patrick Javillier Bourgogne Blanc AC Oligocene 2010 Bottle Price £19.76/€25.20, case x 12 £237.06/€302.40 - Creamy white Burgundy with wonderful acidity and a long finish. Great white choice for the Christmas turkey.
5. Barolo Marenca, Luigi Pira 2003 Bottle Price £41.40/€51.75, case x 12 £496.80/€621 – mature Barolo is in a class of its own. Try this with the Christmas cheeseboard.
6. La Gravette de Certan, Pomerol 2006 (2nd wine of Vieux Chateau Certan) Bottle Price £31.50/€46.66, case x 12 £378/€559.91 - “soft, lush, even opulent, dark ruby-coloured La Gravette de Certan. This is a richly fruity wine, but also complex and evolved. I was stunned by how good it is” Robert Parker’s words not ours. Judge for yourself!
7. Dog Point Pinot Noir 2008, Marlborough, New Zealand – Special Offer £14.99/€19.99, Case x 12 £179.88/€239.88 Brilliant price, brilliant wine – what’s not to like? Your red for the turkey sorted.
8. La Roquete AC Chateauneuf du Pape 2009 Bottle Price £23.36 / 29.70€, Case x 6 £140.13 / 178.20€ Delicate nose of warm spice. A rich and smooth mouthful with bright cherry fruit and peppery lift. Great match for venison and rich casseroles.
9. Billecart Salmon Champagne NV special offer Bottle Price £29.50/€39.99, case x 6 bts £177/€239.94 - The perfect toast to the New Year.
10. Cypres de Climens, 2nd wine of Chateau Climens, Barsac 2007 half bottle Bottle Price £17.99/€22.95, case x 12 half bottles £215.89/€275.40 Creamy and smooth with well-balanced acidity and a subtle sweetness which gently buoys the honeyed fruit notes. Lovely with rich Christmas pates or dessert such as Christmas trifle.
All bottle prices are applicable when buying minimum a case of wine (can be mixed case)