1) The weather is halfway decent and a delicious and refreshing glass of something chilled to cool you down will transport you to your happy place. These wines tick all the boxes and what’s more, Soalheiro means ‘sunny place’. It’s a sign, clearly...
2) The Alvarinho won the Regional Trophy in Decanter Magazine World Wine Awards published this month. That is a serious endorsement.
3) The quality is superb. This is a small, family-run winery in northern Portugal and Luis (son and winemaker) is verging on the fanatical, but in a very good way and it feels great to support such passionate and dedicated people. Soalheiro wines could be considered to be meditations on the Alvarinho grape which is a very good thing indeed.
4) Soalheiro wines offer something to suit every palate (with the exception of die hard red wine fans who don’t drink white at all). From fizzy to full bodied and all the shades in between, Luis has created something to fit the bill.
5) There is 15% off for one week only.
Soalheiro Espumante Alvarinho 2013
Bottle Price £16.99 / €28.50 - 15% Discount £14.44 / €24.23
Not at all like Prosecco, this is very dry and crisp with beautiful purity of fruit.
Soalheiro Allo 2014
Bottle Price: £9.95 / €14.95 - 15% Discount £8.46 / €12.71
Alvarinho’s little sister. A blend of Loureiro and Alvarinho this has a really beautiful nose, very aromatic and pretty. The Loureiro plumps out the Alvarinho and gives it a bit more ripe fruitiness. Utterly charming.
Soalheiro Alvarinho 2014
Bottle Price: £12.99 / €18.99 - 15% Discount £11.04 / €16.14
Also available in magnum.
The trophy winner. Here’s what the world’s best wine magazine had to say:
“A definite step up from the norm, with its enticing nose interwoven with stones, sea salt, nectarine, banana and tropical fruits. The mouth kicks off with a full and intense attack of floral fruit and spice, spreading across the palate before gliding into a deliciously fresh finish. A wonderful wine.” (Decanter Magazine, World Wine Awards 2015).
Soalheiro Reserva 2012
Bottle Price: £23.50 / €31.50 - 15% Discount £19.98 / €26.78
A barrel aged Alvarinho giving the wine extra body, fullness and richness and a more savoury character. Fantastic with roast chicken or a match made in heaven with pulled pork.